Basic Drivers Education Information
The Jordan Community Education Driver's Education program is for students, ages 14 1/2 - 18, who live or attend school within Jordan School District 717.
The Driver's Education program includes classroom instruction and behind-the-wheel training.
Classroom Instruction: 30 Hours of In-person instruction -- includes lectures, class discussions, guest speakers, films, written work, and written tests.
Upon completion, students will be issued a blue card.
Behind the Wheel (BTW): Allows a student to practice driving on public streets and highways with an instructor in a dual-control car (6 Hours). Upon completion, students will be issued a white card.
Once your student has received their permit, please contact Annie Mattson at 952-492-4354 to schedule behind the wheel.
Please note, your student may be placed on a waiting list. Offerings are based on instructors' availability and are typically throughout the summer and with limited fall and spring opportunities.
Cost: $375 includes both classroom instruction and Behind the Wheel
Parent/Student Point of Impact Meeting: This 90-minute class for the parents/guardians of teen drivers is designed to increase parental awareness and involvement with teen driving issues in order to further reduce teen-involved traffic crashes, injuries, and fatalities and to explain the Minnesota graduated driver licensing process. Completion of this course allows the parent/guardian and teen driver to complete 40 hours of supervised driving instead of 50 hours. A certificate of completion will be issued to the parent/guardian at the end of the class that will need to be submitted to the driver exam staff at the time of the student's road test. The certificate is valid for one teen; for subsequent teens who complete a driver education program, another parent class is required. This meeting will be scheduled one time per year.
BTW Partnership with A+ Driving School
Community Education has been working hard to address our Behind the Wheel waitlist. We are partnering with A+ Driving School to help our families on the waiting list at no extra cost to you.
- All Lessons are done out of Prior Lake or Lakeville, Families are responsible to meet at either site.
- To sign up, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, and let them know you completed class with Jordan Community Education, and you would like to set up behind the Wheel.
A+ Driving Scheduling parameters (these should be followed to guarantee completion of lessons prior to the road test)
- Lesson #1 should be scheduled within 60 days of receiving your permit (and after logging 10+ practice hours)
- Lesson #2 must be scheduled at least 3-6 months PRIOR TO ROAD TEST and after logging 20 practice hours minimum
- Lesson #3 must be scheduled 1-2 months PRIOR TO ROAD TEST AND AFTER logging 20-30 more practice hours. (total 50)
- YOU CAN DO (up to) ONE LESSON PER MONTH AND MUST PLAN AHEAD (sometimes up to a month in advance to schedule lessons during busy seasons)