Jordan Public Schools Accepted to the Wright County Conference Beginning the Fall of 2020
Jordan Public Schools (JPS) is pleased to announce that the Wright County Conference (WCC) voted 14-0 today to accept Jordan into their conference. Jordan will join Delano, Holy Family, Hutchinson, Mound Westonka, New Prague, Orono, and Waconia in the WCC East Division beginning in the Fall of 2020.
Due to Jordan’s increased enrollment, and projected section realignment, Superintendent Matt Helgerson and Activities Director Joe Perkl began discussing this or a similar move in 2017.
“If we are going to be competing with schools that are much larger than us we need to be challenged in a same manner,” concluded Superintendent Helgerson. Following the 2017-2018 school year and a review of programming, Mr. Perkl agreed this was something the District needed to pursue.
Following today’s vote, Mr. Perkl shared, "I am excited about the news today of Jordan being accepted to the Wright County Conference. There will be some growing pains, no doubt, but we are a community that doesn't shy away from competition and we will work hard to keep pace with some of these bigger schools in the WCC East Division." He added, “We need to compete with teams in the regular season, that we will see when we reach the postseason.”
Superintendent Helgerson agreed. “We are excited about our new conference, both the opportunities and challenges it will bring for the arts and athletics in our District. Our programming has evolved and developed into those similar to a larger conference. This move allows for additional scheduling opportunities, providing more kids additional playing time and opportunities to compete at an appropriate level.”
Helgerson understands that tradition is important to the Jordan community. He added, “We will look forward to continuing our rivalries with MN River Conference schools during non-conference play as this is something that is an important part of our history.”
Summary of information:
- Jordan will be competing in the MN River Conference in 2019-2020.
- Competition in the WCC will begin in 2020-2021.
- This move is for all high school and middle school fine arts and athletics.
- Scott West Wrestling will remain in the MN River Conference due to the fact that Belle Plaine School District is the cooperative sponsor of the team.
- The WCC acts as two separate conference divisions. There will be an East Division and West Division, with no crossover.
- Jordan will be competing against schools in the East Division.